How to Make Homemade Hazelnut Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 8-10 minutes. Until slightly browned and the skins are blistered a little.
3. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes on the tray. Wrap the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. Remove skinned hazelnuts and repeat the process with unskinned hazelnuts. Note: it’s pretty hard to remove all the skin, try to remove as much as possible but it’s fine if you left with some skin on. Let cool completely.
4. Place hazelnuts into the blender, add salt (optional) and blend until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Note: At the beginning it seems like it’s not blending well, but you have to be patient. First it will be crumbly, then it will form a paste, then it will be smooth and creamy. All the process takes about 5-15 minutes (depending on your blender/food processor).
5. Transfer the peanut butter to an airtight container or to a mason jar and store in the refrigerator.