Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
If you’re on the hunt for a mouthwatering dish that combines the delicate flavors of Japan with a delightful ease of preparation, look no further than our Chicken Teriyaki recipe. This Japanese-inspired culinary masterpiece brings together tender, succulent chicken breasts with a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce that will transport your taste buds to the heart of Japan. Whether you’re an experienced home chef or just beginning your culinary journey, this recipe promises a memorable dining experience that will impress your family and friends. In this article, we’ll guide you through every step of creating this delicious Chicken Teriyaki, from selecting the freshest ingredients to serving it in style.
Chicken Teriyaki Recipe Ingredients
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sake (or white wine)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced green onions
- Prepare the Teriyaki Sauce: Start by creating the star of this dish, the teriyaki sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake (or white wine), sugar, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar fully dissolves. Once dissolved, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens to a delectable consistency. Set it aside to infuse the flavors.
- Prep the Chicken: Now, let’s get your chicken ready. Place the boneless, skinless chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Gently pound them to an even thickness, approximately 1/2 inch thick. This ensures even cooking and a tender result.
- Season and Dredge: Season the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. Next, coat them evenly in a layer of all-purpose flour. Be sure to shake off any excess flour to avoid a thick, doughy coating.
- Sauté to Perfection: In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, carefully add the chicken breasts. Sear them for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they achieve a beautiful golden-brown hue and are thoroughly cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Teriyaki Bath: Now, it’s time to introduce your chicken to that luscious teriyaki sauce you prepared earlier. Pour the teriyaki sauce into the skillet where you cooked the chicken, allowing it to mingle with the succulent juices left behind. Place the chicken back into the pan and let it simmer in the teriyaki goodness for an additional 2-3 minutes, ensuring the chicken absorbs all those incredible flavors.
- Garnish and Serve: Your Chicken Teriyaki is now ready to shine. Sprinkle a generous amount of sesame seeds and sliced green onions over the top for added texture and flavor. Serve your Chicken Teriyaki hot, preferably over a bed of steamed rice or accompanied by a side of stir-fried vegetables.
How to Prepare chicken teriyaki recipe
- Teriyaki Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, mirin, sake (or white wine), sugar, garlic, and ginger. Simmer until thickened.
- Chicken Preparation: Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness, season with salt and pepper, and coat in flour.
- Sauté Chicken: Cook chicken in a skillet with vegetable oil until golden brown and cooked through.
- Teriyaki Bath: Pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and simmer until fully coated and the sauce thickens.
- Garnish and Serve: Finish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve hot.
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 15 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 35g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 8g
To preserve the delightful flavors of your Chicken Teriyaki Recipe, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will remain fresh for up to 3 days. When reheating, you can use the microwave or gently warm it on the stovetop.
Chicken Teriyaki Recipe FAQs
- Can I substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts in this recipe?
- Absolutely! Chicken thighs work wonderfully and offer a richer flavor profile.
- Is mirin essential for the teriyaki sauce, or can I use a substitute?
- While mirin adds a distinct sweetness, you can replace it with a mixture of sugar and water in a pinch.
- What are the ideal side dishes to pair with Chicken Teriyaki Recipe?
- Chicken Teriyaki pairs exceptionally well with steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or a light side salad for a balanced meal.
- Can I prepare the teriyaki sauce in advance and refrigerate it?
- Yes, indeed! You can make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Is it necessary to use sake, or can I substitute it with a different type of wine?
- While sake provides a unique flavor, you can easily substitute it with white wine or even rice vinegar for a slightly different but equally delicious result.
In conclusion, this Chicken Teriyaki recipe presents a wonderful opportunity to savor the exquisite tastes of Japan in the comfort of your own home. With its luscious teriyaki sauce enveloping tender chicken, each bite is an explosion of sweet and savory flavors. Best of all, it’s a quick and straightforward meal that you can whip up in just 30 minutes! So, why wait? Indulge yourself and treat your loved ones to a homemade Chicken Teriyaki Recipe dinner tonight. It’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone clamoring for more. Bon appétit!